Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Encounters with Strangers




Yesterday, I was at Starbucks waiting for my frapp. There was a tall guy, maybe in his 30's or 40's standing next to me. He was around 6'5, built, bald, a goatee, and a hint of a half sleeve tattoo past his shirt sleeve. He asked me how my day was going. I said it was good. I was also debating if I should get something to eat. He tells he got his food because he was playing basketball later. His friends are always joking around wondering how even though he's the one dying from cancer, he's the one with the most energy out of them. I replied with "Live life to the fullest right?".  While at the same time I'm thinking Did he say he's dying from cancer? He agrees with me, grabs his coffee, bids me a good day, and walks away. It was strange. 

It made me think of those random encounters with strangers where we come across them .. and they still impact us in some way or another. 

When I was in Hawaii, I was rushing because it was raining and I didn't bring an umbrella. I approached a dishevelled man pushing a shopping cart. I slowed down and we made eye contact. I gave him a smile and he returned a sweet smile back at me. It made my day. I hoped it helped his too. 

When I was in my late teens/early 20's, I was going through a rough period in my life. I was standing at an intersection, and a cyclists stops beside me at a red light. He turns to me and says "You're beautiful.". No other words. The light turns green and he takes off. At that moment in time, it was an act of kindness that I needed. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.- Plato

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I absolutely love this post! So true how those little moments with complete strangers can bring about a sense of connection and put you on a different track.

    Alexandra xo

    http://tovogueorbust.com/

    ReplyDelete