Thursday, May 3, 2012

Vertigo

I had a strange sensation of vertigo yesterday. A long time ago, I took a psych class on Attention. I learned that when you make rapid eye movements, your brain stabilizes your vision (Saccades and vision). This prevents seeing constant blurs parallel to the passing landscape in a car. Or something like that. Anyway, that stabilization didn't happen with me yesterday. For some reason when I got out of the car, everything was crystal clear. It was an odd sensation where when I darted my eyes around, it was as if I moving my head side to side. I couldn't walk steady and felt that the ground was slightly tilting on me. I've fainted enough times to recognize if it's going to happen, but this wasn't it. The feeling went away after a couple minutes so I didn't embarrass myself in the mall. Not entirely sure what brought it on.

In other news, one last final tomorrow! This term was... a lot heavier than I anticipated. The previous term was fairly stressful resulting in me losing weight and having low blood pressure. But I still managed to squeeze in blogging. This term.. was just so busy workload wise. However, the clinical experience this term is up there with my mental health rotation. I loved community and learned what home health entailed. I finally got to experience packing some wounds. I learned about so many different community resources in my city that I didn't even know existed. I also got to interact with the marginalized population and looked forward to going to clinical. I could go on and on. It was awesome.

Also, I'm going on a trip! So this blog will be coming with me to my lovely (warm) destination.

1. While looking up harm reduction, came across this article written in 1996: Nursing in the Urban Core. I think it's interesting to see how nursing on the downtown eastside was back then. This is prior to InSite which opened in 2003.

2. Oldie but a goodie: Bulldog babysits Orangutan (youtube).

3. My friend introduced me to this lovely wedding website: Snippet & Ink. My favourites are the articles that feature real weddings

4. Nurse Ratched's place mental health nursing blog: nurses attacked by a patient

5.Xiaxue talks about how she lost weight. I thought it was interesting to read about the pressure she was getting from businesses to lose weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment