Monday, April 11, 2011

I am Filipino

I watched thatsheart do this youtube video on being Filipino so I thought I'd share this half of my culture.

1. When was the last time you were in the Philippines? 2010. I was actually born in the Philippines and that was the first time in 20 years that I went back. Quite the culture shock.



2. Name one Filipino dish you enjoy the most?
Ooohh...Kare Kare (a peanut butter vegetable dish) or palabok (noodles and eggs yum). Oh wait. AND taro leaves with coconut milk... mmm... I must tell my mom to make these dishes more often.

3.Name one Filipino item in your household that best resembles your culture.
Does a jar of bagoong (shrimp paste) in the fridge count? haha

4. Do you know how to speak Tagalog? If so, say a phrase or two.
Nakakaintindi ako ng contin Tagalog. - I can only speak a little Tagalog.
Hmm... I think that's right. I barely remember anything from the Pimsleur's Tagalog Cds :( My mom never taught me and my sister so I'm pretty much useless with Tagalog and even worse with Ilocano.

5. Which part of the Philippines are you from?
I was born in Quezon City but we have family there, Manila, Agoo, Apayao, Baguio, Marag... and I'm sure more places i haven't named.

6. Do you live in the Philippines?
Nopes, live in beautiful British Columbia.

7. What is a stereotype about Filipinos?
You marry a Filipino, you marry a village. I personally think this is true because I consider everyone family. Additionally, I'm pretty sure I saw over 100 relatives when we went to the Philippines. Seriously.

8.Do you own a karaoke machine?
Sure do! My dad bought it for my mom for her birthday.

9. Sing your favourite Filipino song
I do not know any Filipino songs! I don't know the Filipino national anthem either. For shame :(

10.Have you tried balut?
Bahaha no I have not! If you've never seen balut, this is what they look like. I've never actually seen them in bright light. It is literally a chick. Apparently it tastes better when there are no feathers yet :/

11.What is your favourite thing about being Filipino?
The sense of community. It's easy to start a conversation by letting people know I'm half Filipino and they're interested in how much of the culture I have.

12. Do you eat Goldilocks on a regular basis?
I don't even know where the Goldilocks is in Vancouver but I know there is one!! I want to take my boyfriend there. I did eat it a lot when I was in the Philippines though.

13.Are you inseparable from your family?
I will do anything for my family. I'll do errands in town for them, drop my mom off at her appts, and I'm planning on living at home till I'm married haha.

This survey has made me realize I do have some Filipino culture in me!

4 comments:

  1. oh balut, I used to eat it when I was younger (mostly the broth and yolk) but now I can't touch the stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goldilocks is on Broadway somewhere between Granville and Burrard. My friend brought me to that place before - it was SOOO good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "konting" not contin haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goldilocks... last time I was around that area, the windows were all covered and stuff. I was across the street and on my way to my rotation so I didn't get a chance to look at it to see if they're still even in business :p

    "Apparently it tastes better when there are no feathers" <--- uhmm yes!

    taro leaves with coconut milk = laing :p i actually had to message my dear ol' daddy 'cus he used to make it and ohmygod... i could just keep eating that with rice. actually, come to think of it, anything my dad used to make that has coconut milk in it i just pretty much devour lol..... damnit... now i'm harsh craving filipino food! makes me miss living at home now haha

    ReplyDelete