Monday, July 26, 2010

Donating Hair

When I was in Gr.8, I decided I wanted my hair cut like Sarah Michelle Gellar in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. After that, I bawled my eyes out and promised myself I would never cut my hair that short. When I graduated high school, my hair was down to my waist. It had become like a comfort blanket to me. I also started dyeing my hair (which required 2 boxes). A couple years down the road, I went through one of those life transition moments and decided I needed a makeover and got a haircut. My hair was now a medium length (3 or 4 inches past my shoulders) but was a drastic change from my waist long hair. Then I made the decision to donate my hair which required me to grow out my dyed locks. My hair now is down to the middle of my back and back to its natural colour.

So what's the point of this story?

I want to donate hair.

But...

I love my long hair. Getting my haircut is a huge anxiety issue for me and I can't even imagine how I would feel if I end up donating it. I would love to help someone by donating my hair since I have a lot of it. I tried donating blood but that was a fail as my body decided it would rather keep the blood for itself (blood clots too fast). I'm going into nursing so I can help people that way but I want to be able to give more. My sister cut her waist long hair this year so she could give it for donation. I was so proud of her and wished I could have the guts to do it.

So, it's vanity over charity. For now...

Pantene Pro-V Beautiful Lengths
Locks of Love

1 comment:

  1. I cut my hair for donation twice... But I only really donated to charity once. It's a long story, but I'll tell you one day if you're interested - hahaha.

    It's a great feeling to know you're doing something good for others. However, if you think it's going to cause you a lot of anxiety afterwards, you might wanna reconsider, otherwise it's just going to be a bad experience.

    ReplyDelete